Thursday, October 1, 2009

Better Way to Focus!

Hi ladies!
It's Makia. I'm just dropping in to share a technique that I have heard about for awhile, but only recently came across instructions on how to actually achieve it.

I came across the information on photo tip: back button focus Melissa Jill Photography Blog who got it from Chris and Katie Humphreys: Better way to Focus and it is as follows:

The idea is to seperate the shutter function from the focus function. While this technique may take a little getting used to, in the long run you'll be far more accurate with your focus.

1. To do this, go to custom function 4 and set it to setting 1. (setting 0 is default)

2. Turn your AF setting to AI Servo. Leave it there from now on and never take it off.


From here, your focus will be controlled by the * button on back of the camera by your right hand thumb. When you press the * button the AF will be engaged and will focus on whatever the red box in your viewfinder is set on. To stop focusing simply take your thumb off the * button.
The only time you'll take your camera off AI Servo is if you use your AF assist beam on your flash to focus. Your camera must be set up in Single Shot drive mode as well as One Shot AF mode.

Try it out and let me know what you think. I tried it out a bit the other night and I like it.

Also what's a post without a picture, introducing me and my family:



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Makia! I have always wondered how to do this, and have searched my manual trying to find out how to switch it with no luck. I will definitely see what I can do with these instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Makia, you are my angel!!! I have read about this before. Heard other photographers talk about it but I could never figure it out. It wasn't until I read this post that it finally made sense to me and I got it. I am soooo excited to start using this! I have always felt so limited using my af points. Yay!!! Thanks again! Cama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so cool, I wish I knew of a way to do it on Nikon. I love my camera but I feel limited with the focus too. THanks for sharing!
    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so it has been over a week since I switched, and this is awesome! It is not clear in my manual, and it was also under a different function than as stated in these instructions, but I'm so glad I figured it out. Once again, thank you Makia!

    ReplyDelete